Irwin H. Fishbein, Rabbi, DMin
C.C.A.R. RABBIS WHO OFFICIATE AT INTERMARRIAGES WITHOUT REQUIRING CONVERSION
This list has been compiled with the understanding that it may be given to anyone who requests it. In addition to the conditions specified, most rabbis require a pre-marital conference and encourage a program of Jewish study. Some rabbis have requirements above and beyond those that are recorded. For most rabbis, a commitment to establish a Jewish home means that the home will not contain religious symbols of another faith. Condition #1 always includes condition #3. Condition #5 may refer to membership either in the synagogue with which the rabbi is associated or in any synagogue, Where a rabbi is listed without a telephone number, either no phone number is available or no referrals are to be made. The following number code has been used:
1. Requires commitment to establish a Jewish home and/or raise children as Jews.
2. Requires commitment to pursue a course of study in Judaism after marriage.
3. Requires that children not be promised to another faith.
4. Requires course of study in Judaism prior to marriage.
5· Requires synagogue membership
6: Requires ceremony to be hold in the immediate vicinity.
7. Requires two or more hours of premarital counseling.
8. Requires referral from colleague.
9. General, special or additional requirements set with each couple during the premarital conference.
10. Requires Jewish ceremony be the only ceremony.
11. Requires rabbi to be the only officiant with no participation by non-Jewish clergy.
12. Requires rabbi to be the only officiant but permits non-Jewish clergy to offer prayers that contain no references to religions other than Judaism.
13. Shares with non-Jewish clergy a service that contains no references to religions other than Judaism.
14. Shares with non-Jewish clergy a service that contains references to religions other than Judaism.
15. Officiates on Shabbat or Yom Tov.
16. Officiates in a church or chapel where Christian symbols are visible.
17. Questionnaire was not returned. Name was carried over from previous list.